Finding an air source heat pump installer
Check out our list of MassCEC rebate-eligible installers and potential questions to ask your installer.
HeatSmart Nantucket hasn't selected a heat pump installer, as our selection committee wanted all of our many local companies to be able to serve residents interested in heat pumps. There are many firms both on- and off-island who are qualified to install air source heat pumps and are eligible to apply for rebates from the Massachusetts Clean Energy Center. Read on for more information about what installers participate in MassCEC's program and how best to select an installer who can offer rebated cold climate heat pumps.
(Why install a cold climate heat pump? Read more here).
What installers are eligible for rebates from MassCEC?
MassCEC offers generous rebates for cold climate air source heat pumps, starting at $500 per indoor unit. Only customers who get heat pumps installed by contractors registered with MassCEC's Clean Heating and Cooling Program are eligible to apply for these rebates.
A list of MassCEC participating installers who have installed systems on Nantucket is provided below. The full list of participating installers can be found here, and a list of rebate-eligible equipment can be found here.
|Installer Name||Location||Phone number|
|ACK-AIR DUCT, LLC||Nantucket||508-228-3828|
|Carl F. Riedell & Son||Osterville||508-428-6365|
|Even Flow Ducted Air Inc.||Nantucket||508-228-0048|
|South Shore Climate Control||Sandwich||774-205-2466|
Are you an installer of air source heat pumps and want to be listed above? Visit the MassCEC website to learn how to become a MassCEC participating air source heat pump installer.
Who should I work with?
HeatSmart Nantucket does not directly endorse any of the installers listed above. However, we recommend getting multiple quotes and recommend asking some of the following questions.
- Have you participated in manufacturer training for the systems you would install? Do you hold any certifications from these manufacturers? Manufacturers often offer special certifications to installers who complete regular training and install a high number of systems (e.g. Mitsubishi Diamond Contractor, Fujitsu Elite, Carrier Factory Authorized Dealer), which enables these installers to access benefits for their customers like extended warranties and priority tech support.
- Can you provide references from previous customers with similar systems? Ensure that other customers have been satisfied with the contractor's work quality and responsiveness, as well as the equipment selected to meet their needs.
- Do you install cold climate systems that qualify for MassCEC rebates? If you are at all interested in using your heat pump for year-round heating, we recommend installing a cold climate heat pump. To be eligible for a MassCEC rebate, the heat pump must be a cold climate model.
- Are you familiar with the application process for MassCEC's Clean Heating and Cooling programs and willing to help me complete the process? Installers who are more familiar with the MassCEC rebate process will be able to provide you directly with the information necessary to submit all applicable rebates—or submit the rebates on your behalf!
- When would you be able to perform the installation and how long will it take to complete? Heating and cooling contractors have peak seasons, especially on Nantucket. It may be challenging to get an installation completed between Memorial Day and Labor Day.
- Will you hire subcontractors to complete portions of the project? If so, what firms and what will they do? Many heat pump installers will need to subcontract electrical work out to a local electrician.
- What training will you provide for me on how to properly operate and maintain the system? Modern heat pumps have a wide range of features, and improper usage can reduce the efficiency of the system and the comfort of your home. Ensure that your installer will help make sure you know how to use your system and all of its features—and is available for support after the installation is complete.
- Do you provide a warranty for the systems you install? What will be the cost of extended warranty and servicing? In addition to manufacturer warranties, ask your installer about workmanship warranties and any extended warranty options and servicing plans. Regular maintenance can help to ensure that your system lasts for a lengthy period of time.