About HeatSmart Great Barrington
HeatSmart Great Barrington was a community clean energy initiative that ran from May to August of 2018. It was designed to help residents and businesses save money on their energy bills while also reducing their greenhouse gas emissions. Similar to the Solarize campaign held in Great Barrington in 2013, HeatSmart was a grassroots program driven by a group of volunteer Great Barrington residents focused on encouraging local clean energy adoption.
HeatSmart Great Barrington focused on heating and cooling, which accounts for over 60% of the average Massachusetts home energy bill and around a third of home greenhouse gas emissions. HeatSmart Great Barrington promoted cold climate air source heat pumps, which are supported by substantial state and utility rebates and can help homeowners and businesses save money, improve indoor comfort, and reduce emissions.
HeatSmart brought all the benefits of the 2013 Solarize campaign, but for clean heating and cooling, including:
- A transparent, discounted price;
- Qualified installers, competitively selected by a volunteer selection committee with support from home energy experts;
- A direct, hassle-free process for participating in the program and accessing state rebates and financing;
- Educational workshops where you meet the installers, have your questions answered, and learn more about HeatSmart Great Barrington, heat pumps, and other ways to reduce your energy bill and carbon footprint; and
- Open-house parties with homeowners who have already installed heat pumps, so you can see what the equipment looks like, how it works, and speak with the homeowners about their experiences
HeatSmart Great Barrington benefited all parties in the process by:
- Residents and businesses gain access to a special, limited-time discount on a proven energy-saving, clean heating and cooling technology.
- The Town of Great Barrington helped local residents and business not only save money and be more comfortable year-round, but also reduce total community greenhouse gas emissions, bringing the Commonwealth closer to its emission reduction goals.
- The Massachusetts businesses helping drive the Commonwealth's clean energy transformation—whether actively participating in the current HeatSmart campaign or not— benefit from statewide growth in the clean heating and cooling industry supported by this program.
- Installing clean heating equipment will reduces the amount of imported fossil fuels you use to heat your home. That means you keep more of your energy dollars here in Massachusetts supporting our growing energy industry and local businesses, instead of sending 90% of those funds out of state and overseas.
About the HeatSmart Team
HeatSmart Great Barrington was organized and implemented by volunteers from our community with support from the Town of Great Barrington. Together, the HeatSmart Great Barrington team designed the program to achieve shared goals: help Great Barrington residents and businesses save on their energy bills and be more comfortable year-round, and reduce our community’s carbon emissions.
Part of the HeatSmart campaign involved selecting an installer through a competitive process. With support from technical experts, HeatSmart Great Barrington selected Climate Heating and Cooling. Interested parties are welcome to contact them for a site visit, but should note that the program is closed, so we are no longer doing direct referrals. .
Climate Heating & Cooling Inc. has been devotedly serving the residents of Berkshire County and beyond since 2001. We are a full service Mechanical Contractor, which personally designs every system we install, through our team of in-house engineers and designers. We have an exceptional level of knowledge and experience in the HVAC industry, having professionally designed, installed and serviced thousands of systems over the years. From residential, to commercial, to large scale industrial projects, there is no project that is too big or too small for us to endeavor. We personally guarantee all our projects, supported by 24-hour, 365 days per year emergency service, as well as providing annual system maintenance agreements, to keep your system running at optimal performance for years to come.
Our welcoming staff of designers, installers, service technicians and office personnel are proudly comprised of over 50 employees, many of whom have been a part of the Climate family since its inception. From start to finish, our dedicated team is ready and able to assist our customers every step of the way, to make each project a personal and pleasurable experience.
From air source heat pumps, to mechanical ductwork and piping, to controls design and installation, we can satisfy all facets of your heating and cooling requirements. We remain proud to have served all our customers which have trusted us with their projects over the years, and look forward to establishing new relationships, providing energy efficient, comfortable systems, custom designed to meet your heating and cooling needs!